UA-45446743-1

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Omar Goes to the Rainbow Bridge

Omar, who was born on May, 28, 2002,  was adopted by Diane Danker on March 25, 2008.  Unfortunately, he recently died in his sleep.  He had been crashing into walls for 3 weeks and was not eating well.  Although he was blind, he normally navigated well around her house.  Diane took this blind, special needs boy and gave him her love and care for the remaining years of his life.  We want to send our deepest sympathy to her and to Linda Antonelli, Omar's foster mom.  I know he will always have a special place in their hearts.

Diane adopted Omar from NEBTR 5 years ago.  Linda Antonelli was his wonderful foster Mom and she and Diane have shared their love of Omar for those years.   Her love is expressed so poignantly in her tribute to him.  Linda asked that it be shared with all of NEBTR to remind us of the wonderful people who come to us wanting to give our Bostons a second chance.   She did that for OMAR and we all send our deep condolences.

You opened your heart and your home to your beloved Omar. How fortunate were both of you to have found each other. It is a terrible heartache to lose a loving friend, it's not easy. He will always live in your heart, in your memories. From wherever he is be sure he is smiling and looking down at you, thankful for the loving experience you gave him.

DIANE'S TRIBUTE

Our sweet and loving Omar passed away unexpectedly on Thursday January 17, 2013.  Noah and I are heartsick and devastated.

I know that if you are not a dog person you don’t understand this heartbreak at all.  To you he was just a dog. To us he was a warm sweet bundle of energy who loved us unconditionally.

Omar was our rescue dog.  He had been surrendered by his owners because they could no longer care for him.  I think this is why he hated being left home. If Omar sensed we were leaving the house and not taking him, he would hide. His first hiding place was under my blanket. I found him there a few times and he figured he needed a new place and thought hiding behind the coffee table in the living room was a good idea.  When that failed he tried hiding under my bed. His last place was also under my bed on the opposite side, behind the rolling drawers. He finally realized that it was a lost cause and just went to my room and laid on his bed until I came up to carry him down. I needed to allot an extra 15 minutes to get out of the house because of him.  He hated the separation and cried even though he had Shi for company.  Whether we were gone for 15 minutes or 6 hours, he greeted our return with insane joy. You’d think we’d left him for days; this was the love Omar gave and needed.

He was completely blind and Shi took care of him when we went out together. Shi would grab onto his leash near the collar so he wouldn't walk into things.

Of all the dogs I've had, Omar was the most affectionate and needy.  At least once a day he’d come to me for a back rub. I knew, because he’d sit on my chest and lick my face until I started. After that he had to sit with me for a while.  If I got up to do something, he followed me all over the house going up and down the stairs as many times as I did.  If I was working in the kitchen he would lay on the floor waiting for me; wherever I went Omar followed.  At some point every day when he sat with me he put his paw on my arm or leg; he didn't want to be alone. If I was giving Shi any attention he would push in front of her; he had to make sure she didn't get any of his portion of affection.  Every night before bed he needed his cuddling. 

Shi is grieving as well.  During the day they slept with their bodies touching on their dog bed.  Omar “backed up” onto the bed because he couldn't see and this way he didn't bang his head.  Often, he ended up sitting on her face. Shi now goes to “his” places in the yard.  She’s started coming to cradle in my arm and has such a sad look about her.  She’s never been without a brother and she’s lonely. 

Dogs will creep into your heart. They read your signals (and know when you’re leaving); they burst with joy when you return home and the only thing they want from you is kindness.  They give and give and give. They never take.They steal your heart and treat it like gold.  So that’s how it is for dog people. 

He was ours for 5 years.  It felt like a minute.


Omar:   May 28, 2002 – January 17, 2013
             10 years, 7 months, 21 days

-- Diane

No comments: