UA-45446743-1

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Daphne's Progress



I just wanted to give a recent update on Daphne (the puppy mill girl from last weekend). My husband had her to the vet on Tuesday and everything turned out great for her! No infections or parasites, Yeah! The vet did say that she has very dry skin and her teeth were in pretty bad shape. I am still waiting to hear the results of her blood test, hopefully by tomorrow. I need to have her taken back for her inoculations, and when I hear back about the blood test, I can have her spayed right away. She has made a few strides since she has been here. She does spend a lot of time in her crate in my kitchen, which is where she is most comfortable. She is very timid, but has shown some curiosity as well. She is not a big fan of being picked up though. I do not have a fenced in yard like some of you other fortunate ones, but I have started to take her outside to go to the bathroom. I have a retractable leash, which helps. I also noticed that when I take her out with my Odie, she is very alert as to what he is doing. At first, she would just stand there and sniff, but yesterday morning she started to sniff around the yard. She did not have one accident in the house yesterday, but did not poop at all. She will usually try to sneak it in the kitchen when I am not looking. She did do both outside this morning which I was very pleased. I graduated her up to my bedroom last night. I keep her in her crate with the door shut at night so I can try to work on the potty issue. However, the only problem I am facing is that I have to practically tackle her to pick her up after we are done outside. She just flips out! I am also afraid that she is going to slip out of her harness, because it is not the greatest fit, but fits better than the other sizes. Any suggestions??? I am wondering if I am starting this off way too soon, but feel that she has to learn that it is okay to be touched. I don't want to force her either. It will be a great day when she learns to follow Odie up and down the stairs. When I bring her inside, she usually will look and explore around the house, but then a within a few minutes makes her way back inside her crate. Poor things teeth just chatter! I have never heard that before. She is a very quiet, lackadaisial dog, and I hardly even know that she is here. She doesn't make a peep! She also seems to be eating and drinking for the most part except for this morning, she ate nothing. The funny thing too is that I had my friend over last night (who is pregnant), and Daphne sniffed her hand and even let her pet and pick her up! I was amazed as she won't do that for me. I am wondering if she senses that Tess is pregnant and doesn't see her as a threat.....amazing! I am also wondering if she is mixed with frenchie? I looked up frenchie/boston mix and they look just like her! I will send pics soon.

Tiffany

No comments: