UA-45446743-1

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy 2nd Gotcha Day Belle


Just thinking how quickly time flies. It was two years ago today that I fell into fostering and got my forever foster Belle. Belle was a 14 year old girl who had been abandoned in an apartment in PA. A neighbor was attempting to care for her but was unable to keep it up and was about to take her to a shelter. Luckily for Belle, she was brought to the attention of NEBTR and after reading all the emails back and forth and no one was available to take her - all the fosters were full - I told my husband I couldn't stand the thought of this little girl ending up in a shelter. Another one of our wonderful rescuers, Kym, went and picker Belle up and I met them at Kym's home in Scranton PA. I them drove home in a snowstorm with this frightened little dog. She was in bad shape, bald from her shoulders back, had many hot spots, a nasty looking cataract on one eye, a grade 3-4 heart murmur and about six teeth left. After a trip to the vet, who didn't think she would last six months, Belle was treated to several oatmeal baths, a change in diet (she is allergic to chicken and that is what she was being fed) and lots of loving. Now at age 16, she is almost completely blind, having developed another cataract on the other eye and her kidneys are beginning to fail a bit. But she is a real trooper and gets around the house just fine. Her hair grew back and she has no problem eating. She is a feisty little old lady who keeps the other dogs in line. (She thinks she is a German shepherd, I think!!) She does this funny little "bumper car" thinkg to find me when she wants her back scratched, which she loves, and comes to greet me when I come home with her little tail waggin and wanting to be picked up and loved. She is quite the character and my husband and I often say that we would have loved to see what she was like as a pup. I had not planned to foster for another year or so when I retired - but guess what - I am not the least bit sorry that we fell into it like this. Belle is a gem and I would not trade her. So thanks, NEBTR for bringing little Belle into our lives. Tomorrow when I am at my home computer, I will post a recent picture of her for all of you to enjoy. Joan Stark Ontario NY

No comments: