UA-45446743-1

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Update on Archie


Here's an update on Archie, the "gentle giant" NEBTR foster who incurred massive medical bills while being diagnosed for multiple seizures.

Archie is getting his phenobarbital levels checked at the University of Pennsylvania.  The vet ordered valium suppositories in case he has multiple seizures again.  Unfortunately, at 11:00 pm he had another grand mal seizure, followed by two more within the hour.  Fortunately they only lasted a few seconds and they did not continue.  He was himself the next morning so hopefully this is a sign the medication is starting to take better control.  She also said we may need to add potassium bromide depending upon his levels.

His mom Pam Hess has been taking great care of him.  She writes, "After his last seizure Tuesday night he kept trying to jump up on our bed.  I had to get him down about 4 times and put him in his bed.  Sometime after I dozed off he jumped up again and in the meantime my husband came upstairs to bed.  When I woke up it was Walter, Muno, Archie, myself and my husband.  I thought for sure my husband would have something to say about Archie being there.  His answer was... he drew an imaginary square in the bed between him and I and said "ok this is Archie's space!"  I replied "I thought you didn't want him on the bed?"  He said, "I just don't want him on my side, and if he has a seizure he's in the middle of us and can't fall off!"  He's totally in love!!!  My oldest is getting tutored for writing this summer and yesterday he wrote a nice little story about Archie!  We've also become the popular house on the block... not for the kids to come swimming but for the kids to come play with the doggies!! 

We will be off the NH again on Saturday to enjoy another relaxing week... so Archie will be once again enjoying the lake and boat."

Thank you so much Pam for taking such loving care of this special boy.  And we appreciate all the help that our fans have given us toward his medical bills.

No comments: