UA-45446743-1

Friday, January 11, 2013

Beanie is Adopted

Beanie by Walter Williams

Hi, everyone.  
 
I am wishing all of you a very Happy New Year. 2012 was not a good year for me so I am not sorry to see it go.  I wanted to share with you how far my forever foster, Beanie has come in the past year.  When we got him he was very standoffish, but blended well with the pack after the initial isolation period.  He had never been socialized and we are still working on this as he is a very high anxiety dog.  
 
But his personality is coming through so much.  When my hubby was ill earlier this year, Beanie would not leave his side and still is hubby's little velcro dog. My hubby also sometimes has episodes of low blood sugar and Beanie seems to sense this and will bark at my hubby until I come to see what is happening.  I have come to learn that Beanie knows his business and we handle things before it gets serious.  
 
But I wanted to share what happened this past week and especially this weekend.  As most of you probably know there was a very tragic incident in Webster, NY where two firefighters were shot and killed when they went to fight a fire.  This is very close to me - about 10 miles.  I worked for 10 years with one of the men killed, so as you can understand the past week and this weekend in particular with the funeral, etc. has been difficult and I have spent a lot of time crying.  
 
Beanie has brought me his favorite toy at least a dozen times and placed it in my lap, when he normally does not relinquish it at all.  He must have thought this toy wasn't working so he went and emptied the toy box and one by one brought all of them to me an placed them either on my lap or at my feet. He then would climb up on the chair with me and lick my tears and laid his head on my shoulder and stayed there for over two hours.  
 
I think it is amazing how the compassion and love of these wonderful dogs is often unrecognized and under appreciated.  He was a great comfort to me and as soon as I can do the paperwork and get approval, his status will change from forever foster to "failed foster" as we are going to formally adopt him and make him a permanent member of the pack.  
 
There is no way I could let him go now. 
 
 Joan Stark, Ontario NY

As Heather L wrote to Joan,  "What an end to a tragic year. I'm glad to hear how Beanie has grown and been welcomed into your pack. What a gentle soul he is and he couldn't have found a better home!! You are amazing!! Thank you for everything you do! God has truly blessed you and your family."

No comments: