UA-45446743-1

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Beanie Averts a Major Disaster



Sometimes there are reasons for a dog to be with you and no one else.  Beanie is a prime example.  A little history for our newer members.  Beanie was given to rescue just before Christmas Eve 2011 due to dog aggression.  Because this is near me and It was so near the Holiday, I agreed to take him for the weekend as I didn't think it would work to have a dog aggressive dog with five Bostons at home. To make a long story shorter, turns out he is not dog aggressive in the home with the pack, only very high anxiety and never socialized. 

Beanie is still very dog aggressive outside the home - that is one reason he is still here.  But he has turned out to be the best alarm system I could ask for.  Early on, my husband had some health issues and Beanie would know this and bark and bark until I cam e and took care of things.  Two weeks ago, he saved us from a major disaster.  He woke me up much earlier than usual by jumping at the bed and woofing at me - not really a bark but more to get my attention.  Thinking he had to potty, I got up and took all dogs out.  As I did I heard water running - a lot of it.  couldn't find it at first, but Beanie kept going to the basement door.  So I went down there and the boiler to the furnace had ruptured and water was pouring out all over the place.  We were able to turn it off and now have a new boiler but Beanie's early warning system save us a major flood.  We still had a mess to clean up but it would have been so much worse. 

Beanie is hypervigilant all the time but it pays off.  He is such a big lug, and knows when I am sad or when my hubby is not feeling well and brings us his toys - all of them.  He has been know to empty the toy box at my feet in order to make me feel better.  Beanie will be with us always, but he obviously earns his keep! lol.


Joan Stark Ontario NY with Duke, Beanie, Missy and Chelsie.

No comments: