UA-45446743-1

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Bernie's Journey




Bernie, formerly Barca, is 4 and he is deaf. He was an owner surrender but from Puerto Rico. His owner loved him so much, and always referred to him as his son, but had to give him up because he feared Barca was going to be taken from him. Barca developed a high level of stress and anxiety. The vet told his owners to leave him outside for more recreation time, but for Barca this made things worse and he would spend his days barking nonstop in the yard. The vet told his owner to look into getting his vocal chord out... Thank god his owner was wise enough and cared enough to not let that happen.

A trainer I took my dogs to has donated an 8 week session, so we have been working on hand signals which he is doing very well with! I've also started to use a vibration only collar. The goal of that is to get him to come find me when it buzzes since he can't hear my calling him to come. I've been spending a lot of time sitting in front of him just buzzing and instantaneously giving him a treat so he makes the connection. 

Bernie has come a LONG way since I got him almost a month ago, but still has a LONG way to go. 

Amanda S

Thank you so much Amanda for working with precious Bernie to show him the proper behavior and for loving him with your pack.  The birthday party photos were adorable!

No comments: