UA-45446743-1

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cover Boy Bruno



Former foster Bruno, now a cover boy. Most important, he is much loved by his Mom, Lynne D'Angelo, who kindly agreed to share the cover with Bruno.

Wonder if his foster mom, Linda Antonelli, knew he was destined for stardom when he moved to his forever home.

Linda writes about her experience with Bruno and her girl Ivy.

"Ivy and Bruno were rescued from a puppy mill.  The story at that time back in May of 2008, was on Oprah Winfrey.  They were called the Winfrey Dogs and she did a show about mill dogs at that time.  Bruno's name was Boston #2 and Ivy was Boston #3.  Sheryl was involved in the adoption and transport.  When she saw his face, she told me he looked like a Bruno.  He did and it fit.  The name Ivy only took me a week to figure out and it fit too.


They cuddled together in the corner of my den for the next two weeks scared out of their minds.  Neither was house trained nor did they know how to play with other dogs and toys.  Bruno was "slow" as I called him.  He went from point A to point B, with very little brain cells.  Ivy on the other hand was sharp as a tack and blossomed.  Let me tell you this did not happen over night.  It took almost a year to domesticate them.  Ivy like I said blossomed but Bruno did not.


Robin and I were working together with applicants.  April 2009, she sends me this family Bob and Lynne D'Angelo who had a younger female BT named Fabbie.  They had great references.  I had them come over my house to meet Bruno and asked, why would you want this "slow" boy.  They stated, we already have a spit fire, we are an older couple and want a slow dog.  I loved them in 20 minutes.  Long story short, May 3, 2009, I drove Bruno to his new home.  I was so unsure that he would be okay.  In this case for the first time, I wasn't worried about the owners, I was worried Bruno wouldn't be the "perfect slow pet" for them.  I told them please, if you can't handle him, return him.  Bruno also had an ulcerated eye that everyone who ever looked at him was afraid of.  The D'Angelo family have grandchildren who think his ulcerated eye makes him need special care and love.  They never even considered returning him and sport him with an eye patch like a pirate not because they are embarrassed, but because he looks cool!!


One year after I nurtured this boy, he was placed with a family who adore him.  That was 3 years ago.  Now, I see he is on a magazine cover??!!!  

As for my Ivy, I did place her back then with my own nephew.  She crapped in his house on a daily basis.  One month later, he returned her.  She NEVER crapped in my house.  Ivy came home and did a sigh in my lap.  We looked at each other...  She chose me, I didn't choose her.  I was the first person she loved and the last...  Go figure how I placed Bruno the "slow boy" and not Ivy the sharp girl.  LOL

Thanks Linda for sharing this happy ending, it's inspiring for foster families who find it hard to part with their temporary guests. You are an angel among angels and an inspiration to us all.

No comments: