UA-45446743-1

Thursday, March 21, 2013

New Foster Mandy

Welcome new foster Mandy.  Mandy is a puppymill survivor who somehow ended up in a Pennsylvania shelter. Her time has come to finally feel what it is like to live in a warm loving home.

Thanks so much to Leslie Kaucic for opening her heart and home to this little girl.  Mandy is terrified and hiding much of the time but Leslie's work has begun and Mandy is coming along slowly.  Your love will help the healing begin, bless you and yours. Soon she will take treats, kisses and become the dog she should always have had a chance to be. The end of one chapter and the beginning of a beautiful new life thanks to you!



Her foster mom writes,

"Mandy will not come out of the crate on her own, I slowly slide her forward on blanket and gently lift her out of crate.  When I place her on the floor she lets her front legs slide out and I have to stand her up.
It's so pitiful :-(   she still will not take anything from my hand, but eating well.  On a positive note, she will now walk outside on her own (once I get her out of crate and shut door) and back inside into crate.  The less I have to pick her up the better.  She will come to me when we're outside and show me her belly for pets.  Also she is now going potty outside!  She was hardly going  and I was getting worried.  Two days ago I started putting Yogi, my Golden Ret, out with us. I have complete control of him and thought it might help.  She seemed comfortable with him right away and peed!  She has gone every time we go out now! 
I know it's going to be slow going with her and hope she can soon enjoy life.  I will appreciate the little things, like when she first takes a treat from my hand! "

 

Update from Leslie.  REAL PROGRESS!

Mill survivor Mandy has been with me just over 2 wks now and I have finally had some progress.  She had been coming to me outside and starting to yawn at certain times which is good cause she's thinking!  But just over the last 24 hrs she has made some great strides.  Yesterday, she ate 2 pieces of food out of my hand!!   I mixed up her dinner and was sitting on the floor in front of her crate with the bowl placing 1 piece at a time in front of her.  she usually won't eat anything until I move my hand away, but I rested my hand on her bed with food on my fingers and she ate it!  next attempt she would not but then time after that she did, so I didn't want to push it and just put the bowl down and walked away.  Also, she wagged her stump yesterday when she ran up to my Golden Ret Yogi!!  She will jump up to his face to say hi!  I have only seen glimmers of happiness when she is with him.  She does not seem fond of my BT Ozzy.  Not sure if it's his energy or bad experiences with Male BTs.  Then today she came out of her crate on her own!!  I have been trying to coax her every time ti go outside, patiently waiting for her decision.  She's knows what I want by this point, this morning Yogi and I went in the kitchen and called her to me and she came and sat by us.  She went back in so I walked over to door and called her and she came out!  I'm so happy!

Leslie, we have all been waiting to hear that this beautiful butterfly is slowly emerging from her long time in a chrysalis.  It is these tiny steps that each who foster a PM survivor live for.  We all share your joy for these magical moments of discovering their new life full of fun and care.

Thank you to all who do this for all of our dogs, especially the PM survivors.


Sheryl Trent, President NEBTR

No comments: