UA-45446743-1

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Winston Inspires Ana Cecere


The photo above is a NEBTR named Winston.  His Mom was Ana Cecere, who found this picture as she was looking at our updated web site after Winston's death.  Ana writes, "When my beloved boston of 15 1/2 years passed away I saw a picture of him in our website under fundraising with his little paw up asking for help! That is when I decided it was time to start looking for another boston in need through NEBTR. And then came Brady, he was meant to be with us, he is our world! Dogs teach us amazing and profound life lessons. As much of a challenge as it was in the beginning my husband and I keep falling in love deeper with him and I thank all the Foster moms in the group for being so dedicated to their fosters, for knowing their foster babies so well and for asking all the right questions to find the right home! There is always the right dog for the right family."

We are thrilled that seeing Winston's photo on our site brought Ana her beloved Brady.  It was as if it was meant to be, that her beloved boy brought Brady to them!  And it brought Ana into a more active role in the rescue, where she helps other Bostons in need.  We truly appreciate her many gifts to the organization.

We asked Ana to tell us more about Winston and she wrote:



Winston was the love of our lives!
He was a very gentle soul that came to us at age 8! It was a very sad story, you could see that Winston was dearly loved by the previous owner and she gave him up because she could not afford to take care of him! I didn’t have to know her to know she was a wonderful person!  This is the most unselfish act of love one could do! Winston came to us with the threat of developing cancer again and we decided to treat each day with Winston as a gift and as if each day was his last day! He blessed us with another 7 ½ years!!!!
He was pleasant and very well- mannered dog! What a good dog! He was gentle in is ways and very playful with a great personality! When he passed gas he would look at us through the corner of his eye and silently leave the room!  We would know before the smell hit us (really bad smell) because of his sneaky way of leaving the room, it was very funny!

On birthdays he would join the party by singing happy birthday with us! It was quite a sight! No one could sing a happy birthday without laughing in between! His last Christmas with us he join me in singing Ave Maria on the couch! Needless to say that, that memory, still brings tears to my eyes! 

When he would want affection he would put his little paw up (like the picture on the website) and he would touch you to grab your attention!

A good guard dog, but very smart, as soon as we would welcome someone into our home he would welcome them also. He loved his walks and he was very friendly with other dogs. He loved to cuddle under the covers and I would wake up in the morning with him resting his head on my harm, laying down like a human.

When my husband came into our lives, Winston started marking everywhere and as soon as my husband would sit on the couch he would immediately jump up and sit next to my husband very quietly very straight and looking at him through the corner of his eye to make sure he would keep an eye on him (it was very funny).

If my kids misbehaved and I would yell at them Winston would leave the room! He did not like any commotion!

If he had an accident in the house, he would shake and sit and put his little paw up like saying I didn’t mean to! He was so cute I don’t ever remember being upset at him! Who could with that face! If you would say to him (Winston what did you do??) he would sit and turn his face left or right and look through the corner of his eye.

After Winston passed I really had a very hard time, he came to visit, and as crazy as it sounds, he told me I had to help other Boston terriers.  My girlfriend Shawn was fostering for the group at the time and told me how great the group was and I decided to take a look to adopt another dog! I was amazed to see that Winston was on the website and for me this meant that adopting was not enough, I had to do more than that and Winston was asking me to do it!

Winston’s memories still bring tears to my eyes! He left us February 25 of 2011, he didn’t die of cancer, his body just gave up, it was a very sad day, but the love we experienced with Winston was well worth the pain! I am eternally grateful to Winston’s foster mom, Anita Cornell for picking us as Winston’s new family!

Dogs like Winston are the reason why people should look into rescue! What a gem he was! You never know what you will get but so far I have rescued 3 Boston Terriers and I wouldn’t trade any of them for the world!







No comments: