UA-45446743-1

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Dog In Need Meets Rescue Angel Jerrilyn (Have Your Tissues Ready)

BEFORE



AFTER



Clarisse has decided to get up and explore a little bit....



Clarisse also found a new sleeping spot outside of her cage.... 

Yesterday we received an email from a woman, Ginger, whose coworker' s 
husband works for the LIRR. He told his wife that he had spotted an 
injured Boston living in an abandoned trailer in the train yard in 
Jamaica, Queens. Ginger called us.
The trailer was in an LIRR lot that is gated and locked.
I called LIRR and couldnt get through to a person.
I called the FDNY firehouse that is adjacent to the lot and spoke to the 
Captain. He told me it is an LIRR lot only to be accessed by LIRR.
I finally called MTA police 911 and reported the dog and they sent two 
officers to go find her.
MTA called me back and told me they had found her and gave me the direct 
number of the office in Jamaica that would have her. I was elated.
When I called them they told me that she had escaped from them and was 
now loose in Queens.
I begged them to continue looking. How far could she get without someone 
seeing her? They eventually gave up and apologized to me.
I sat at my desk at work welled up with sadness for this poor girl who 
was finally discovered and now is probably worse off on the streets of 
Queens.
I told my boss I had a family emergency and I left my Connecticut office 
at 4pm to head to Jamaica to find her. I kept thinking, someone had to 
have seen her and she cant get far. 
Once I got through the LGA Friday traffic, I went to the exact spot 
where the officers had found her. Not a nice place. An abandoned train 
yard in an industrial area of Queens. I drove slowly down each street 
with my windows down asking every single person if they had seen her. 
"What&# 39;s her name?" they asked. I dont know but I need to find her.
I could smell the rain storm coming and it was starting to get darker. I 
combed every single street. I finally found one woman who barely spoke 
english who had seen her running about 2 hours ago. Luckily most people 
in this area hang out on their porches and make good witnesses. All I 
needed was a glimmer of hope.
My husband called me and told me I was crazy and to come home. Rain is 
coming and its 7pm. I started thinking Ive done everything I can, I need 
to get out of this neighborhood and head home.
As I drove down Jamaica Avenue to go home, I spotted her in my rearview 
mirror darting across the street very fast and obviously frightened.
I stopped my car, took off my work heels and with the help of a 
truckload of firemen and a neighborhood of people, we finally were able 
to corral her and get her into my car.
She is in terrible shape. She has an injured eye and an inured leg and 
some of her pads are bleeding. She is very scared of people and does the 
army crawl. She spend most of her time in her crate. She hasnt made a 
peep and is not interested in food at all yet.
The only thing she seems interested in is my dogs. They seem to soothe 
her. She recoils at the human touch and tenses up. She is almost feral 
but not aggressive at all.
I am telling this story to not only welcome Clarissa into NEBTR but to 
remind myself that sometimes we have to go a step further to make 
something happen. There isn't always someone else that is going to solve 
a problem. Sometimes, it's up to us and that is a wonderful thing. It is 
what makes us all human. We have the ability to change things and fix 
things. We all do.
I have attached a picture of Clarisse. We will get her cleaned up and 
looked at by the vet today.
Please give her a warm welcome!
Thanks to all of you for helping every single day. And a special thanks 
to Ginger for taking action yesterday. Clarisse would still be in the 
trailer if it weren't for you. Ginger, I hope you join us - go to our 
webpage to join.
It takes a village.

Jerrilyn Walter, you are a very special rescue person.  You illustrate what rescue angel means by your efforts to rescue Clarisse and your work with both NEBTR and S.N.O.R.T.

No comments: