UA-45446743-1

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Daisy Goes to the Rainbow Bridge

It was back in 2002 I think, that I got a call from my intake coordinator Jane for an owner surrender, my girl Daisy. This little 9 month old spit fire Daisy had skin issues that thousands of dollars later, vets could not treat. Dear Lord give me strength. I was clueless back then but I was up for the challenge since the family was asking to re-home her.

Daisy was only 9 months old and they couldn't handle the skin issues. For once I liked the owners Debra & her daughter Linda. Oh my - a girl after my own heart. My namesake.

Year after year, I put my heart and soul into this girl Daisy. I was my own spit fire back then and called the so called breeders in North Carolina and drilled them. Turned out all the liter mates had skin issues. It was then I learned about puppy mill dogs. I took that girl all the way from Manhattan to the east end of Long Island for holistic treatments. Eventually, she was healed and I decided to keep her, however not for me, but for Little Linda.

Every year on Daisy's birthday in August, Linda and her mom Debra came to visit her. She survived cancer 2x and they gave me a donation for NEBTR to pay the bill 2x. They are my family.

Last night after my Gizmo episode, I'm sleeping and around 2 a.m., Ivy is licking Daisy and the slurps woke me up. Stop it I said. I felt the pee and poop against my body and at that point, I shook Daisy to tell her get up!! She was limp and she was gone. Is this a dream??? My Daisy is gone.

I changed the bed, wrapped Daisy in a blanket, put her in my chair and wet back to sleep like it was a nightmare. The next morning she was still gone. My Daisy died in her sleep and I wish Gizmo had that pleasure as we all do.

I only cried when I called Joanne.

I will always miss that little spitfire. My Daisy and Gizmo are gone. Ugh Ugh Ugh.


Linda Antonelli

No comments: