UA-45446743-1

Saturday, June 13, 2015

A Tribute to Remarkable Sara



I have a story.  It is about a small little Dachshund and all she has done for not only NEBTR, but other rescue groups as well.


Long before I knew anything about Rescue or even what Rescue groups were, I was on a mission to own a Dachshund.  I was one of those "pet store" people.  I bought my first Dachshund puppy ,  a little male.  He was very ill when I brought him home.  Of course the pet store didn't really want to pay for the vet bills, so we were trying to nurse a very sick puppy back to health.  In the mean time, just as computers were becoming popular, we bought one and then we bought our second sick puppy.  This time it was a little girl Dachshund. She was very sick in the store.   But my husband didn't care.  He would not leave that store without her.  So, we brought Sara Daisy home.  Trying to nurse two sick dachshunds is not fun.  I thought I would take a chance and look up Dachshunds on the new computer and  the new internet.  WOW! what a "slap" in the face!  There before me were links upon links of Dachshund rescues and how to care for your doxies.  
That was my first experience of the "REAL World" and what goes on with breeders and Mill dogs etc.  I must have cried for hours!  I felt so bad.  I felt so guilty.

However, instead of wallowing in my sadness of what I had done, I turned it around and started to become involved.  I joined Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue, our local Animal No kill shelter, and NEBTR.  I later joined Greyhound groups as well.  F or over ten years, we have had so many dogs come in and out of our home.  But this is where it gets interesting!  Little Sara became a "healer"  She would actually help rehabilitate, guide, and just cuddle next to any foster that was scared, sick, or  unsure of anything.  She loved every single dog we have had come through our doors.  The power of this little dog has been  amazing!  Even the Big greyhounds respect her and know she is there to show them what this whole thing of being fostered is all about!
 
Sara loved it when we fostered a Mill dog.  The time and effort she took to get them calmed down, to establish a sense of being safe has been truly a wonderful sight to see.  There are not many dogs like Sara.  We have been told by several Animal communicators that Sara is what they call an "Earth dog"   She is the one who can heal and make things better for others.  I truly believe this because I have seen her do it!

Sara has proven that over and over again.  And not just with other dogs, but with humans as well.  Every time someone was sick, she would not move from that persons side until they were better. Mostly, she would either lay on top of someone's head or chest.  She sometimes wouldn't eat until that person was up and around.  That dedication has been the root of what Sara Daisy is. 

The love and devotion that Sara has is something I think one will see once in a life time.   That brings me to OLIVE.  Our wonderful Blind Boston who was a NEBTR Foster.  Olive was not completely blind when she came to us. She was scared and unsure of everything.  She was just so sad. But, Sara took over!  She would guide Olive outside, she would stay by her side if Olive was sick, and she would bark at us if Olive could not find her way in.  Once Olive lost her sight completely, Sara would wait outside for Olive and when they were ready to come in, Sara would stand by the door and bark at Olive until Olive got to the door herself.   It got to the point where not only was Sara training Olive, but she taught us too.  For we started snapping our fingers and calling her so she could do things herself.

Sara and Olive still remain best buds.  As do All my fur kids.  Every DOG I have had in this house knows or knew that Sara was special.  Not a one would ever be mean to her.  The respect they all have had for Sara is something I have never seen before, and probably never will again.

Sara is 13 years old now.  Olive is 15.  Sara is very ill and Olive can sense it.  So can the rest. Sara is in Congestive heart failure and Kidney failure.  We are giving her as much love, and devotion that she has given all of us for the last 13 years.  Please Keep Sara in your thoughts and prayers.   And please remember, that OUR own resident dogs sometimes do not get the credit they deserve when it comes to foster dogs.  Stand back and just observe your pups.  I am sure that you will find  your Sara too.

Tammy Trivelpiece and Family

No comments: