UA-45446743-1

Monday, September 30, 2013

Happy 4th Gotcha Day, Norman

1186302_611127588940054_693004550_n

Our ball-obsessed, quirky boy is 13 ½ and still making us giggle.

Four and a half years ago, my beloved Abby was sick. She was my very first dog of my own and also a special-needs baby. For nine years, my world revolved around Abby and her medical needs. As I prepared to lose her, I searched for something that I could throw myself into to occupy my time and heal my heart. I reached out to several rescues, including Northeast Boston Terrier Rescue. Already having a Boston Terrier (my beloved Lucky), we already loved the breed and so the rescue was a natural fit for us.

A few months later, I received an email about Norman. Then nine years old, he was dumped at a high kill shelter and had one day left on his 3-day hold. Another NEBTR volunteer (Thank you, Sayre!) pulled him from the shelter and met me. I remember how excited I was - I stopped at the pet store on my way, picking up a new bed, collar, and toys for Norman. Little did I know how much my life would change that day.

Norman was the beginning of our rescue world. Very quirky, very skittish, and overall just a wacky guy, we fell in love with Normie's obsessive ball playing, gentle kisses, and on occasion, his affectionate behavior. Being older and having some health issues, Norman was a tough boy to find get adopted. We searched for months to find the right home for him, only to have that family return him after 1 week. As my husband and I picked up Norman that night, we could see the relief he felt to be back home with us. And so, a few days later, we officially signed adoption papers and welcomed him as a permanent member of the Jansky zoo.

Four years later, Norman is 13 1/2. He's blind, has bladder control issues, is still as ball-obsessed and quirky as ever, and begs for his Three Dog Bakery Sandwich Cookie treat every night. He's a goofy boy, but we love him - and he is the first dog that gave me that unparalleled feeling of saving a life. 

Happy 4th Gotcha Day, Norman! We love you, buddy.

Amy Jansky

No comments: