UA-45446743-1

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Max Goes to the Rainbow Bridge




I knew when I made the decision to adopt an older dog that this time would come sooner rather than later, but I didn't think it would be THIS soon.

It is with great sadness that I tell you that Max has gone to the rainbow bridge. Symptoms of a much more manageable issue turned out to be a devastating diagnosis. My vet performed exploratory surgery on Max this morning, only to discover that the cause of his digestive upset was horrific tumors in his liver, stomach and intestines. The ones in the stomach and intestines were embedded in the walls of the organs and were the size of eggs. The doctor called me while Max was under anesthesia and advised me to let him go. This is a man who I trust. The same man who sat on the floor with me while I cradled my Elliott for the last time. If only there were a chance, I'd have jumped on it in a second. This wasn't like he might be ok if the tumors were removed... There would only have been suffering leading to the inevitable. He crossed peacefully while still under anesthesia. It was just all so sudden. He was playful and happy right until the end, and that is how I want him to be remembered.

I only had the pleasure of loving Max for four short months, but I still believe he was meant to be my dog. I remember agonizing over adopting him because Mama Christine had said he was not a snuggler and he would probably never sleep in my bed. Well, I'm happy to say he DID snuggle every member of my family (I think my husband was his favorite), and he DID sleep in my bed. Even if it was only once, and probably only because I had the flu and he was convinced I was dying. But hey, he loved me enough to be concerned ??. He was a fantastic addition to my family, even for a very short time. He knew he was loved, and I know he loved us too.

We can't forget his Mama Christine, who loved him dearly as well. We corresponded (and always will) regularly, and I shared pics of Max and whatever he was up to at the time. Usually napping with his favorite human that day, or hanging with my other two dogs. We had a visit planned in April to go see Christine. Max was to stay with her a few days while I went a little further south to MD to visit friends. I am so sorry that this reunion will not be able to take place. When Max passed I only had one request. I told my vet that I needed two paw prints and his cremains must be split into two urns, one set for me and one for Mama Christine.

Cory Savard

No comments: