UA-45446743-1

Friday, February 13, 2015

Papi Goes to the Rainbow Bridge





I am heartbroken to announce that our Papi, who we adopted from NEBTR in October 2011, went to the rainbow bridge last night.

He had been having some neurological symptoms that affected his walking on and off since June.  On Monday, he went out in the yard in the morning on his own, came back in on his own, and then later had no control over his legs.

I took him to the vet Wednesday morning; things were pretty bad.  I couldn't even hold him up between my legs to put his sweater on - he kept flopping over.  They kept him overnight and tried some meds, but to no avail.  Papi was also blind, and in great distress that he couldn't move on his own.

Bill, Dr. Rosen and I agreed that the kindest thing to do was to let him go.

Papi was found filthy and hungry in an abandoned warehouse in Brooklyn.  We promised him he would never be cold, or hungry, or alone again.  We kept that promise.

I loved him every day.  I loved him every day he peed on my carpets (he was starting to have some cognitive dysfunction).  I loved him every night when he woke up at 3am to go outside to pee.  I loved him when he would ge t stuck in the snowdrifts in the middle of the night and I'd be falling in the snow in the middle of the night to get him.  Bill too. 

I just hope he knew how much we loved him.

Deb Dolan


Bless your heart Deb for loving him with all that you had.  May Papi rest in peace free of pain and suffering!  He knew he was loved! - Linda V.

I am so sorry.  I have a feeling he had the best, most compassionate years of his life with you.  Remember the bright times.  Run free Papi... -Loretta 

I am so sorry.  I have a feeling he had the best, most compassionate years of his life with you.  Remember the bright times.  Run free Papi... - Joyce 

Deb, how could he not know??  Your story of chasing him out in the snow gave me a smile. That happened with Sunday Valentine quite a few times last winter. I kept having to run outside in my socks and grab her lol.  He hit the lottery with your home.  Hugs! - Marjorie

No comments: