UA-45446743-1

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Beanie Makes Progress

beanie2

 

beanie

 

Just had to share with all of you to show that there is always hope for the dogs we take in.  To remind everyone, I pulled Beanie from the local Humane Society on Dec. 23, 2011.  They released to rescue due to his dog aggression.  (this was nerve wracking as I had five others at home at the time)  To shorten the story, due to a number of factors, the aggression being primary, it was decided to make him a forever foster since he got on well with the dogs here. 

We fell in love with him and changed his status to adopted as we felt he was family.  He still has some aggression issues outside the house - mostly due to high anxiety.  He has always been a piggy when it comes to eating and would scarf down his food and then try to eat the food of any of the other dogs who were not finished.  He wasn't aggressive about it - just would stand VERY close and give the other dog a push with his rump - we, of course, stopped this right away.  We initially fed him in another room with a gate. 

He is now able to eat in the same room as everyone else and minds well when I tell him no.  We worked with a trainer for many months and Beanie would always listen to me to sit - but I had to be right there on top of him.  We had an enormous breakthrough today.  This morning after I put the food out for everyone, I got distracted with a phone call.  When I turned around, Beanie was finished eating and he just sat down and watched the other two - all on his own!!  I was so excited and praised him to the moon and back.  He has come such a long way and I am so proud of him.  He is such a love and absolutely gorgeous. 

 

Joan Stark

 

That’s awesome, Joan.  You must be so proud!  What progress you’ve made with him!  And he is very handsome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful progress. I admire your dedication.

Unknown said...

I nicknamed a previous BT Boston Beanie and our present adopted Boston experienced aggression and anxiety issues, too. After losing our 2 Bostons last Spring, we needed another one and chose adoption. We needed Dash and he needed us. Our home was too quiet and empty
without a BT. We LOVE our little boy!