UA-45446743-1

Monday, December 16, 2013

Erin Sullivan on Fostering


Foster Mama Erin in Pennsylvania ~ For as long as I can remember, I have taken in stray animals, sick creatures, and unwanted pets. Even as a small child I brought home birds with broken wings and anything else that needed mending. I spent a lot of time with animals of all kinds, and found I had a fearless connection to all animals big and small, from horses to snakes. If they needed help, I did my best.

When I became old enough to work, I got a job in a pet shop. And another job at a vet where I worked for a few years as an assistant and met Spice, an older pug. The owner wanted to euthanize her because she didn't want to be bothered with her minor medical care. I knew I would never be able to sleep again if I didn't stand up for her, so I asked her to sign her over to me, and we promised to take care of her. She quickly wiggled her way into everyones hearts, and found her permanent home with my good friend and coworker who has her still, 7 years later. She doesn't get around as well any more and needs a cart now, but is happy as a clam and pain free!

I now work as a manager for Petco, and have fostered everything from fish to totortoises and mice. We began officially fostering dogs after my husband and I bought our house two years ago, and have taken in all kinds of dogs, including a diabetic pug, a boston terrier with a broken leg, dogs with various skin conditions, and several with aggression and bite histories. We work mostly with small short faced dogs, but never turn away a needy dog if we can help.

My advice to anyone looking to help out is to simply do what you can. If you have the space and time to foster a pet, it is very rewarding and I promise, it will change your life, but it can also be overwhelming at times. The pet overpopulation problem is huge, and the number of dogs coming into rescue never seems to go down. Some days it will feel like all you're doing is cleaning up messes. Some days you will see things that just break your heart, and you wish you could unsee them. But at least for me, every case is a lesson learned.

I have found that I am forever inspired and awed by dogs' spirits. No matter how miserable the situation is, and no matter how terrible their history is, with patience, any dog can learn to trust again, and to forgive their poor treatment at the hands of our fellow humans. I had a foster that came from a backyard breeder who spent her whole life in an outdoor pen having puppies for profit until she damaged her eye, and was deemed "scary" to potential purchasers of her puppies. She had to learn everything about being a real dog from the beginning. It took months for her to finally understand what toys were for, but when I saw her first pick up a toy, it was a huge moment for us both. No matter how old they get, a happy dog is a happy dog, and that is a beautiful thing that makes all the stress and poo picking up worth it.

I realize not everyone can foster. If you want to but can't, don't forget you can always volunteer in other important ways. Many rescues need volunteers to do home visits and make phone calls to check references, or to help transport animals, or simply just to visit the rescues and help walk the dogs in the kennels or pet and brush the cats. Do what you can, even if it is only a small thing. Don't take on more than you can handle. Pace yourself. Spread the word, support spay and neuter programs in your area, donate if you can!

Don't say "I wish someone would help". YOU ARE SOMEONE! and you can make a difference for a needy dog or cat. Some days it is not easy. But I swear it is worth it to see a dog that has been sick and sad for weeks finally smile and pick up a toy or take a romp around the yard.

Rescue has come a long way over the last several years. Social media has played a huge part in this, allowing people far and wide to connect, share advice and support, and to save more dogs! If you are on the fence about fostering, trust that there is a huge network of people out there willing to support you and help you along the way. You're not alone! Join the rescue army and help us help them! ♥xo...Volunteer, Foster, Donate, Adopt...xo♥


Beautiful words Erin and very inspirational!!
Thank you being such an integral part of our foster team!

No comments: