UA-45446743-1

Friday, February 21, 2014

Update on Skittles


Skittles seems to be adjusting pretty well. She's sleeping beside me on the couch as I write. She's getting excited to see me when I get home from work--so I'd say she's adjusting pretty well.

Skittles has had the run of my family room (~13'x20') when I'm at work. (She's free to be wherever I am after I get home.)  My family room has a tile floor with non-permeable grout, but I added a runner--as the carpet helps her with traction, as she's a bit "wobbly" at times. I also got her an "orthopedic" dog bed at Marshalls (hoping that she or Panda [my sweet 10-year-old Boston male] might prefer it to the couch from time to time). Skittles enjoys the family room couch while I'm at work (my couches are draped in fleece throws to make them dog-friendly). Panda is enjoying his new digs on the couch in the living room. By now the dogs are together whenever I'm home and for short times when I'm not and get along just fine. The family room is only a few steps through my back porch from my fenced backyard, which is a good size--but with all this snow and freezing cold weather, she and Panda haven't spent much time outside.

In terms of eating, she's doing well in that department too. Last weekend, I baked Skittles and Panda a large turkey loaf (a special NEBTR recipe--Thank you, Sheryl!) to go with their kibble. I have food from her owners, so I'm gradually transitioning her to a new kibble I have. Skittles really enjoys her kibble mixed with a small helping of turkey loaf and a little warm water.

Skittles' owner sent a bag filled with all Skittles' stuff--it was a heartwarming going-away gift and helped with the transition. Skittles was loved. A few minutes ago, Skittles jumped off the couch to sleep on the red polka-dot fleece throw her owner sent, which is on the new dog bed.

Her owner also sent thorough vet records, which also made a smooth transition, especially for our vet visit yesterday. Reports are all good so far. We'll get a few more results back later. Heartworm test is negative--that's very good news. The vet's uncertain what's causing her wobbly gait, but he prescribed an anti-inflammatory pill. In a week or so, I'll call to let them know if it's helping. She's getting around pretty well. She's easily taking shallow paver steps up and down to the backyard. I just carry her once at night upstairs to sleep on my bed and once in the morning to bring her downstairs for the day.

It's wonderful being a two-dog household again!


Shawna

Shawna,
Thank you for the great update on Skittles.
She sounds like a great little girl and a great companion for Panda.

Thank you for taking her into your home and loving care.

No comments: